The frequency and severity of his punishments have earned NFL commissioner Roger Goodell a reputation as a strict disciplinarian. We look at some of the most notable.
- Punished the Patriots for the Spygate scandal with fines, lost draft picks, and two mandated humiliating Super Bowl losses to Eli Manning
- Poisoned Sean Payton and hid the antidote in a copy of the NFL rulebook to ensure future compliance
- Handed down a posthumous lifetime ban to Junior Seau for violating the league's firearms policy
- Randomly fined the Colts $10,000,000 to teach them a lesson about the cruel unpredictability of fate
- Amid growing public outcry and criticism, fined Bears WR Earl Bennett and vowed to rid football of colored shoes
- Suspended himself without pay for a day after eating a slice of chocolate cake that was sinfully delicious
- Has suspended several players for steroid abuse, but this isn't baseball, so who cares