Seven-time champ Armstrong will almost certainly retire from cycling following his crash-ridden swan song in this year's Tour, but he leaves fans with many memories.
- 1996: Tests reveal that Armstrong is suffering from cancer caused by toxic coolant leaking from a faulty turbocharger seal, trickling past his gearbox, and pooling in his testicles
- 1998: Armstrong joins Team U.S. Postal Service, a long sponsorship that finally persuades Americans to mail things
- 2000: Armstrong gradually wears the other riders down while displaying his superior endurance for endlessly chatting about testicular cancer.
- 2001-2003: Embarrassing handlebar-tassel period
- 2002: Stays ahead of the pack despite having to pull over to the side for blood transfusions every 20 miles
- 2003: Armstrong wins his sixth Tour but later faces a messy public breakup with his longtime bike
- 2004: Finishes grueling "Marriage" stage only to immediately set off on the torturous "Sheryl Crow" stage
- 2005: Angrily denies allegations of getting a free ride from the American press
- 2006: Wins Tour de France on exercise bike in basement