CULLMAN, AL—Growing increasingly frustrated as he tried out different entry points on the fruit, local man Alex Overton struggled to pierce an orange peel with his fingernail Monday, all the while firmly under the impression that he could kill someone if he had to.
- Start with a broad sweep of the area, noting any scratches in a wall, scuff marks on the floor, or a notarized letter of confession signed by the perpetrator.
- Wrap a perimeter of yellow barricade tape around all possible suspects.
- Carefully label and photograph each individual piece of evidence immediately after you’ve tampered with it.
- Wait a minute. What was that? Go back to that last photograph. Enhance that area. Yeah, right there. Can you zoom in a little? My god, that’s it—what we’ve been looking for this whole time! Right in front of our noses!
- Any gawkers should be kept barred from the crime scene, unless of course they’re very curious.