With Americans still feeling the effects of the recession, many engaged couples are looking for ways to save money on their wedding by holding a smaller ceremony, hunting for deals, and more. Here are some tips for throwing the affordable wedding of your dreams:
- Start thinking early about where to trim costs. Gradually fall out of touch with family and friends for a decade prior to the ceremony.
- Be sure to book the venue at a time when rates are typically lower, such as 1:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.
- Go digital! Online invitations are a great way to save money and create the forgettable, disposable air you want your marriage to have.
- Think practically about what gifts you’ll need as a newlywed couple. Consider opening a registry at your local bank.
- Instead of hiring a DJ, don’t.
- Should expenses exceed your budget, remember that there’s nothing wrong with displaying Indian or even Congo peacocks in your wedding menagerie.
- Personalize your reception by enlisting a close friend to take the pictures, design the invitations, arrange the flowers, drive the shuttle bus from the wedding to the reception, and cook dinner for 213 people.
- Rest assured that no matter what you spend on your wedding celebration, it’s still a unique expression of you and your spouse that will be picked apart and scrutinized by your loved ones for years to come.