Last week, the State of Wisconsin turned down $23 million in federal funding for rural broadband, and Florida turned down $2 billion for a high-speed rail line between Tampa and Orlando.
What else are states refusing money for?
- Minnesota: $80 million to dig a big hole that people can throw old couches into
- California: $1 million to bribe Andy Dick to move to Brazil
- Indiana: $98 million to contain state's smell
- Mississippi: $50,000 to mend the raccoon fence around the water reservoir
- South Dakota: $75 million for gigantic party hat to be worn on head of Mount Rushmore presidents on their respective birthdays
- Georgia: $500 million to import peaches
- Rhode Island: $45 for Linksys wireless router to be placed in center of state
- Idaho: Annual $60 million to pay off bear population and keep them from taking over